ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments]

OPoC over Special Circumstances

  • To: whois-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: OPoC over Special Circumstances
  • From: "Rich Roller" <rich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:18:35 -0500

If the decision is between OPoC and Special Circumstances, I vote
clealry for OPoC, as long as legal & law enforcement access issues can
be worked out.  Special Circumstances seems too big an impediment for
the average domain owner to protect themselves against spammers.

Larry Seltzer said it well on eWeek.com yesterday:
        "The best I can come up with is that I can understand the
interests of both sides, but I think it's best to support OPoC, and,
once that's in place, see how to facilitate access to registrant
information for law enforcement and legitimate legal mechanisms. At
least there's a chance that could be accomplished. If we adopt Special
Circumstances then the interests of most of the public are shoved
aside."

Hope this helps.

-Rich Roller (rich@xxxxxxx)