ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

XXX domain: bad idea.

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: XXX domain: bad idea.
  • From: David Hayward <david.hayward@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:27:00 +0000

I am not involved with the adult industry, and I believe the .xxx domain to be a bad idea. The proposal smells fishy, at best naive.

1. No attempt to censor or corall information online is workable. Even the Great Firewall of China is a joke in some provinces.
2. Contrary to the argument that it will "protect children", a .xxx sTLD would actually make porn even easier to find.
3. The line between pornographic and non-pornographic is not well defined, so an absolute division in the form of an sTLD would not cater well to the nature of media.
4. Many Western cultures have typically not dealt with sexuality in a healthy way, and still don't. I do not believe passing our value judgments into digital infrastructure is wise.
5. Noone in the adult industry seems to want it.

--
David Hayward