ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

dot-xxx

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: dot-xxx
  • From: "Connie Vera" <cvera5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:56:01 -0600

Please do not move forward with plans to create a dot-xxx.  I am concerned that
the creation of dot-xxx will increase the amount of pornography available.  It
will not protect the children from pornography but instead it will increase the
risk of exposure.  Children in families who do not use filters to block such
sites will be at an even greater risk of exposure than before.  I am concerned
too, that the pornographers will not be required to abandon their dot-com web
sites.
Creating a dot-xxx would lend legitimacy to an industry that regularly scoffs
at the law.  It's like creating a free-market for postitutes to opperate more
effectively.  Many internet sites currently violate state and federal laws
already in place prohibiting the sale or distribution of hardcore pornography.
Certainly those same sites will not adnere to regulations of a dot-xxx domain
either.  There wouldn't even be the force of law behind any regulations you
place there.
PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A DOT-XXX.
Sincerely,
Constance Vera