ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

dot-XXX domain

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: dot-XXX domain
  • From: Bob Hernandez <bob_hernandez1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:17:10 -0800 (PST)

Dot-XXX will create an entirely new pornographic realm
on the Internet. Proliferating pornography will not
protect children from pornography. It will only
increase the risk of exposure. Even if some families
use filters to block XXX sites, children in families
who don't will be at greater risk of exposure than
before. A key point to remember is that pornographers
will not be required to abandon their dot-com Web
sites.

Creating a dot-XXX domain would confer legitimacy to
an industry that regularly scoffs at the law. It?s
like creating a free-market zone for drug dealers or
prostitutes to operate more effectively.

There are state and federal laws already in place
prohibiting the sale or distribution of hardcore
pornography, but many Internet sites currently violate
those laws. Are we to believe they will adhere to the
regulations of a dot-XXX domain, especially since
these regulations will not have the force of law
behind them?

Moving pornographic content to a dot-XXX domain might
hamper enforcement efforts. The problem will be seen
as settled, and we could see a further reduction in
federal and local enforcement efforts.

Thank You. Robert Hernandez