ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Kill the dot-xxx domain (UNCLASSIFIED)

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Kill the dot-xxx domain (UNCLASSIFIED)
  • From: "Hassinger, James C CIV USA" <James.Hassinger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:42:45 -0600

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I urge you to stop any further consideration of creating a dot-xxx
top-level domain.

*       Dot-XXX will create a new realm on the Internet, a realm that
explicitly promotes pornography, dominating in the exploitation of young
women. Proliferating pornography will not protect children from
pornography. It will only increase the risk of exposure. Even though
some families will doubtless use filters to block XXX sites, children in
families who don't will be at greater risk of exposure than before. If a
xx domain is created, will pornographers be required to abandon their
dot-com Web sites and use the xxx domain exclusively?
*       Creating a dot-XXX domain would tacitly confer legitimacy to an
industry that regularly scoffs at the law. It's like creating a
free-market zone for drug dealers or prostitutes to operate more
effectively.
*       There are state and federal laws already in place prohibiting
the sale or distribution of hardcore pornography, but many Internet
sites currently violate those laws. Do you wish for me to believe they
will adhere to the regulations of a dot-XXX domain, especially since
these regulations will not have the force of law behind them?
*       Moving pornographic content to a dot-XXX domain might hamper
enforcement efforts. The problem will be seen as settled, and we could
see a further reduction in federal and local enforcement efforts.

If all pornographic sites accurately rated their material, filters would
perform significantly better. If online pornographers stopped uploading
viruses and other malicious programs, all Internet users would benefit.
Putting an end to fraudulent billing and e-mail spamming would save the
business community hundreds of millions of dollars every year.  You've
heard the saying about herding cats? Try ensuring 500,000 porn sites
aren't breaking your rules.

Establishing a xxx domain makes as much sense as creating a nation of
felons.  However, the xxx nation will send visitors throughout the
entire planet.  No person, thinking realistically and rationally, can
believe that a xxx domain will solve any real world problem.  All it
will do is allow porn peddlers greater freedom.

Thank you for considering my opinion.
I will pray for your discernment and a decision that will promote
excellence, not promulgate decadence and debauchery.

Jim Hassinger
St Charles, Missouri, USA
314-853-2330;
e-mail: james.hassinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx