ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Strongly opposed to XXX Domain

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Strongly opposed to XXX Domain
  • From: Jennifer LeBow <jenn_lebow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:25:20 -0800 (PST)

Dear ______,

  As you consider the .xxx domain plan, please take the following opinion into
account.  To give you statistical information about myself, I am a 37-year-old
American woman.  I am married, never divorced, and we have 3 children, from 16
to 2.  I am from Texas, but have lived in Boston, Washington, D.C, and overseas
in Central America and in Europe.  I earned a B.A. degree at a private
university.

  I am strongly opposed to the .xxx domain idea.  Pornography is already highly
accessible on the Internet as well as in many other formats.  There is no need
to increase its availability; it is already almost universally accessible.

  Too, in granting a new domain suffix, one industry is elevated above all
others save education and government.  Would we even be willing to entertain
the idea of a .car suffix for the automobile companies, a .gun suffix for
firearms, etc.?  I doubt it.  Let's not elevate pornography in a misguided and
easily circumvented attempt to quarantine it.

  In addition, granting a new domain suffix to an industry that is designed to
bring out the worst in us is a horrible mistake.  Pornography encourages us to
treat people as objects for our short-term pleasure.  It portrays sexual
gratification as the pinnacle of the human experience.  It diminishes respect
for others.  As an industry, it preys on children and teens, knowing that they
are likely to be curious and eager to view not only nudity, but sexual acts.

  None of these characteristics are representative of what is best about
America.  We, as a nation, have a history of being respectful of each citizen's
rights.  We have made great progress in recognizing human rights, regardless of
race or gender.  American ingenuity, hard work, and creativity brought us many
of the inventions we now deem "necessary" to the world.

  I know that free speech is one of our greatest guaranteed rights as Americans
as well, but free speech is not threatened by denying a domain name to an
industry whose intention is to debase and make money, not to provide a useful
or constructive idea, product or service.

  Why is pornography so hotly debated?  Because we all know, deep down, that
it's not in our best interests, but some people are unwilling to break away
from their porn habit or from the money they make by producing it.

  Your commission has the opportunity to refuse to grant what amounts to
unlimited space on the Internet to people who are not interested in American
values, but in greed.  While greed is not illegal, I know no one who encourages
greed in their children.  Why ought we, then, encourage it in the pornography
industry?  Please do what is best for decency and for America.

  Thank you for your consideration.

  Sincerely,
  Jennifer LeBow
  PSC 61 Box 30