ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

.xxx Domain

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .xxx Domain
  • From: brite54@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:19:44 -0500

 Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers,

 I am concerned about the creation of a .xxx domain. From the information I
have received about the possible domain, it is a domain that will be used for
pornography sites. Pornographers will be encouraged to use it, but not forced
to.

 On one hand I feel that it is a good idea to try to keep all pornography to
one area of the internet. It is impossible to eliminate pornography from the
internet, but at least people would have to be seeking it out to be exposed to
it. They would know what they were looking up when typing in sites with the
.xxx domain.

 On the other hand I feel that if this domain is created then pornographers
should be restricted to using it. It should be illegal for them to continue
using .com, .net, .org, etc. domains. Otherwise this new domain will just
create more space for pornography rather than protect those that do not wish to
view it (children for example) from being exposed accidentally.

 I hope that you take these concerns into consideration. I understand what your
organization is trying to do, I just believe the way you are currently going
about it is flawed.

 Yes, regulation of internet content is tricky, but if you truly are committed
to protecting the innocent from certain content then there should be a real
effort to do so.

 Thank you,

 Penny Buchanan

Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage and industry-leading spam
and email virus protection.