ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

I oppose creation of .xxx as a TLD

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I oppose creation of .xxx as a TLD
  • From: Khan <Khan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:41:32 -0500

As an adult webmaster and a US citizen, I STRONGLY oppose
creation of .XXX as a TLD

As an active member of a rather large webmaster resource, I
can add that this is the opinion held by most of adult site
owners I've heard from.

My reasons for opposing the creation of .XXX are many but
among the more important ones are ...

1. History shows us that segregation is ALWAYS the first
step of persecution. Rounding up many adult sites into a
single TLD will make it easy for those who strongly oppose
the exercise of free speech (via enjoying adult sites) to
block sites. Not just for browser display, but for Internet
routing as well. This goes against the very concept that the
Internet is based on.

2. Pushing adult web site owners to .XXX creates a financial
hardship as they have large investments in their .com and
.net domains. Millions of dollars and countless hours have
been spent building legitimate adult entertainment business
online and to ask adult site owners to move these sites to a
.XXX tld is categorically unfair.

3. Creating .XXX will not make adult content unavailable on
non .XXX sites. While the US may force citizens to use .XXX
for adult content, there is no such compulsion for other
countries and this creates a situation of unfair competition
for US site owners.

4. The Internet is not, nor should we try to make it, a
playground for children. Keeping children from inappropriate
sites, themes and content is the responsibility of parents.
Most IP agreements contain a clause that the account holder
(an adult) is responsible for prevent those under 18 access
to inappropriate content. Let's have them (parents) do what
they've agreed to do ... raise their own children.

5. While it would not be a perfect solution, creating a kid
safe .KID TLD would be more appropriate. We build
playgrounds for kids to play safely in, we should not let
kinds play in the streets.

And I could go on and on.

In the end, those who support the creation of a dot .XXX
either have not fully considered the far reaching effects OR
ELSE have a vested interest (political or financial) in the
creation of .XXX, imo.

Please do not bow to a vocal minority of those asking for
the creation of .XXX for they no not what they are doing.

Sincerely,

- Khan
  adult webmaster since 1996