ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

.XXX will not rid the web of porn. I oppose .XXX. A Concerned Veteran

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .XXX will not rid the web of porn. I oppose .XXX. A Concerned Veteran
  • From: "Shanes World Support" <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:43:51 -0800

To whom it may concern:

I am an adult webmaster working in the adult online business. I am also
a veteran of the USAF and a decorated E-5 Non Commissioned Officer. I
was a Police Officer for 5 years from 1988-1993. To believe that a TLD
itself will protect children and keep them safe is to be naïve and
tunnel-visioned in our perception of what .XXX is designed to do, which
is make a few people a lot of money at the expense of others. I strongly
oppose .XXX as a method for preventing children from seeing adult
materials online. The originator of this proposal is clearly motivated
by money and the adult internet rejects his principals.

The .XXX TLD will not prevent children from seeing pornography on the
Internet. The .XXX TLD will not prevent children from being preyed upon
and abused by Internet predators. I don?t see Dateline with Chris Hansen
talking about pornographic websites as a catalyst to those sick people
that they snare on their ?To Catch A Predator? show. The .XXX TLD will
not stop pornographic unsolicited emails (SPAM). What .XXX will do is
line the pockets of the proposals creator, nothing more. The proposals
creator cares not of children.

.XXX will not make it any harder for children to access adult materials.
Regardless of filtering or whatever other mechanisms we think that we
can apply to a domain extension, nothing will work. What works is
parents being responsible for their children by being aware of what they
are doing. By proposing and enacting .KIDS, software may be installed
that will only allow .KIDS domains to resolve. .COM will always have
some sort of pornographic affiliated with it. There are renegades all
over the world that really don?t care what TLDs we use. The only course
of action is to hold parents accountable and provide them a tool (.KIDS)
so they may allow only those .KIDS domains to resolve in their homes. If
ICM/IFFOR care about children, they would be spending their time trying
to get the .KIDS TLD passed. Please, help us all protect our children,
nieces, nephews, and grandchildren by working towards a .KIDS TLD. Thank
you for your consideration.

I?m not going to get longwinded on you as I am sure you have 1000?s of
these to read. .XXX is a bad idea, designed by mere financial
opportunists that recognized a potential opportunity. Lets not play
their game, but instead do something that really will protect the
countries children, and those around the world should other countries
decide to follow in the path that is created by pushing through a .KIDS
TLD.

Thank you

Eric Helsel
A concerned veteran

You still have time to get your comments in. I don't care how many
people have ICQ'd me to tell me that we have lost the battle. That's
bullshit. This is far from over. Now is the time to get stronger, not
give up.

Send your comments to xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx by feb 5th.