ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Please void the creation of an xxx domain

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Please void the creation of an xxx domain
  • From: "Bill Johnson" <bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:45:38 -0500

Bill Johnson, President
American Decency Association
P.O. Box 202
Fremont, MI  49412
www.americandecency.org

February 21, 2007

ICANN Committee
John Kneuer, Assistant Secretary of Commerce
4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA 90292

Dear ICANN Committee and Mr. Kneuer:

I left my teaching position in the public schools in 1988. I
have headed pro-decency organizations since that date.

I have worked closely with prosecutors and various experts in
the battle against pornography for many years.  As you might
expect, I have studied the issue regarding the xxx domain
carefully over recent months and years.

My conclusions are virtually the same as the former head of the
Child Exploitation and Obscenity Enforcement Section, Mr. Pat
Trueman.

Quoting:

"... Filtering companies indicate that .xxx will not make the
job of filtering easy, as some argue.  It will not be
sufficient to merely block all sites with an address ending in
.xxx. Most Web site names correspond directly with a numeric IP
and thus a filter must also block the numeric IP to be
effective.  If the numeric IP is not blocked, it becomes easy
for a child to defeat filtering.  There are many websites on
the Internet that will translate .com names into numeric IP
addresses for free.  More knowledgeable users of Windows PCs
can do this through the ?DOS prompt? using the ?PING? command
and pinging the name of a site.  This will return the IP
address.  To be effective, filtering companies must track each
.xxx porn site individually to find the numeric IP address, the
same way they currently track .com porn sites.  Given the
number of porn sites on the Internet, that is a formidable and
costly job.  Rather than making filtering easier, a .xxx domain
will create much more pornography sites that need to be
filtered...."

I urge you to avoid the creation of an xxx domain at all costs.

Respectfully,
Bill Johnson
231-924-4050