ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

xxx domain

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: xxx domain
  • From: "Patrick Mangan" <pmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:27:26 -0500

Concerns & Unintended Consequences
In my opinion, a XXX domain will be an aid to the porn industry's marketing
efforts and amass such an amount of porn in one place that it will likely
stimulate the addiction. Porn marketers will leverage each other's addicts
(even more than they do already) and use such a domain as a marketing
funnel. I do not believe that we have adequate evidence that it would be
policed any better. Nor do we have compelling evidence to believe that small
time porn site operators will comply. (Therefore it might even give parents
and internet surfers a false sense of security believing that the internet
has been made safe like the faulty concept of 'safe sex'.)
Enforcement! Enforcement! Enforcement!
The key to safety on the internet is enforcement, 'filters plus monitoring'
and more ultimately a spiritual decision to take every thought captive to
Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise there is no silver
bullet. The number of visitors to such a domain would make the MacDonalds
'billions served' campaign pale in comparison and marketing data from such a
domain would be used as propaganda by AVN and Hollywood to further convince
the masses that this behavior really is normal since so many are doing it.
Although theoretically, if it was all in one spot under one domain it would
be easier to block and maybe monitor, I don't believe that we will catch up
with the millions of pornographic websites put up from around the world and
get them to convert to one domain. Unfortunately I believe that it will
leave the perception with the masses, and more importantly with children
that pornography has been legitimized by being acknowledged with its own
domain.
I think many will view it as a capitulation to the apparent insatiable
appetite for erotica. I also fear that it will drain the urgency of
investigation and prosecution as well as let the air out of the argument for
finding a way to police and legislate illegal content on the internet.
Internet Zoning Similar but Not Equal to SOB Zoning
Although there are some similarities between zoning adult businesses in
cities and zoning websites into a domain, the comparison breaks down because
we are so much better at monitoring the activities of one adult business or
even a group in a certain population base and can with time and manner
ordinances build a box around them. There is no compelling indication that
we can build an adequate box around pornographic websites to keep them away
from our children. One of the reasons that SOB ordinances and zoning is
effective is the proclivity of adult business to violate a local ordinances
and our ability to bring actions against them through local and state venues
where we can get their license revoked and close them. The problem on line
is the sheer number of potential offenders to police and monitor.
We need a campaign like the old "Here's your brain! Here's your brain on
drugs! Any questions?",
"Here's your life! ( clip of happy family) Here's your life on Porn! (Happy
Family picture breaks and shatters) Any questions?"
Patrick E Mangan
Executive Director
Citizens for Community Values of Indiana