ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

.XXX TLD is a very bad idea!

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .XXX TLD is a very bad idea!
  • From: "Ian Weyenberg" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:48:13 +0100

To whom it may concern,

I would like to put it out there that myself and the company that I
represent, EuroRevenue.com, which is a large adult internet company do
not agree with the .XXX TLD and strongly oppose its creation. If there
are indeed adult industry people behind this initiative, can you tell me
who these people might be? Everyone I know in the adult industry and
otherwise, are strongly against this measure except those that have
money to gain by its existence.

The creation of a .XXX TLD is a violation of the 1st amendment as I see
it as well. People should be allowed to post whatever they want on their
websites as long as it is not illegal. And although porn is distasteful
to some it is still very much indeed protected my laws in many
countries, including the United States and the Supreme Court has upheld
this fact time and time again.

Furthermore, this TLD would not protect anyone on the internet from
anything. I can type in a .pl .cz .ru or .xxx just as easily as .com.
Protecting children is the job of their parents and the adults around
them, not the world at large. If you are afraid of what your kid might
see on the internet, protect them from it. If you want your child to run
free on the internet, then be prepared for everything that comes along
with that.  So any argument about this TLD protecting children is a moot
point. China and other conservative countries do a damn fine job of
blocking out content they don't want, parents can do the same with or
without a .xxx TLD.

I do strongly urge you to listen to the opinions of the people this
affects most and proceed with this matter properly.

Best Regards,

Ian Weyenberg

EuroRevenue.com

Email:     Ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx