ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

No XXX TLD, not then, not now, not tomorrow! Again.

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: No XXX TLD, not then, not now, not tomorrow! Again.
  • From: "Joe Fredricks" <joe.fredricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 21:57:32 -0500

I can't believe we're doing this again. ICM will simply not take no for an
answer, despite the overwhelming majority of the adult webmaster industry
screaming out in unison, NO! Is it not apparent to the most casual of observers
that this is merely a financial interest on the part of ICM? Nobody invests the
time and money these guys are obviously throwing behind this thing if they did
not expect a huge payoff at the end of the rainbow in terms of not only
financial gains, but a formidable stake in shaping the future of the adult
online industry. These guys are foaming at the mouth to become a power block in
adult entertainment and are willing to risk any potential side effect to
accomplish it.

I have read the major changes outlined in this new proposal, and see nothing of
any substance that changes my position from the first few attempts. While there
is some potential benefits from the proposed TLD, they are grotesquely over
shadowed by the risk of abuse by not only government entities, but also by
business, community, and independent agencies. The herding of adult
entertainment into a neat package is a prime invitation for random shots from
industry foes and is inherently a bad idea. The potential for abuse is
astronomical and can manifest itself in a mind-boggling array of possible
consequences. Politicians are already waiting in the winds for this thing to
come to be so that they can take advantage of this consolidation and shape it
into a moral political platform to entice voters with.

Come on folks, get a grip. We all want to protect kids, it's insane not to, but
giving in to these people to become an infinite power base in adult
entertainment is not the way to protect kids. It's an excuse, and one that
seems to enjoy socially conservative approval. The answer to protecting kids
should be where it always should have been, in the hands of mature and
responsible parents. Even with this new .xxx TLD, parents will STILL have to
take the responsibility of installing filter technology onto computers where
kids are allowed to be. These are the SAME parents that have neglected to do so
thus far, and I see nothing in these proposals that will change that.

Therefore, my position is unchanged. I urgently encourage the rejection of this
proposal and strongly encourage every webmaster to read the documentation for
themselves, see how narrow it really is and then join the vast majority of us
in screaming NO to this XXX TLD again.

Sincerely
Joe Fredricks
Fredricks Media Group