ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Why the XXX domain is Good!!!

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Why the XXX domain is Good!!!
  • From: Anony Entirely <emafric1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:30:06 -0700 (PDT)

To ICANN,

  I say yes to create the XXX domain. And thanks for taking the time to read my
somewhat lengthy explanation.

  First of all I ask you take a close look at what you feel is right before all
else (even what I say) when you vote. And take a close look at the reasons and
agendas of people who ask you to vote one way or another.

Now the way I see it the overwhelming opposition to the XXX domain should be a
clue in and of it's self that the XXX domain needs to be created.

  You basically have two groups who are against the XXX domain.

  One group I am very familiar with is the conservative religious group. Many
of these people have the very best intentions in mind, but simply do not have a
lot of experience with the technology or fully understand the meaning and
results of creating such a domain.

  For example you can go to any parent and tell them that we are going to
create a special XXX domain on the Internet just for porn sites and the
response back from the parent will be fairly universal. " Oh that is terrible.
What is the world coming to? My kids can just go and type XXX and that filth
will be on my computer."

  Now you can go and tell the very same parent and say: "Actually your kids can
go right now and type in a particular word in the computer and some porn sites
will come up and get through even with a good content blocker. The XXX domain
will separate the pornography from the rest of the Internet and make it easy to
completely block. So, every site added to that domain will be one less site
your have to worry about your kid being exposed to and some day all of the porn
sites might be like that." The response will be something like: "Oh thank
goodness, that will make my life easier."

  I believe you will find that the individuals that are against XXX that are
parents or those following their religious beliefs are largely misinformed and
are fearful that this with make the problem of porn worse. If these people
could see what this would really do and, if they were shown how running rapid
the porn on the Internet already is, then they would back the XXX proposal all
the way!

  Now there is the second group that is against the XXX domain. This is of
course the porn industry it self. The majority of the porn industry will not
like this any more then the tobacco industry liked putting cancer warnings on
cigarettes.

  This will not be too big a burden on big well-established companies like
playboy. But, smaller sites run by people who want to make a quick buck with
little effort by grabbing a camera and finding any girl available to perform
sex acts in front of it, will have problems.

  Now they will give you all kinds of reason why this would hurt them, but they
will leave out the reason that will hurt their business the most. It is the
same reason so many sites do not include information for blockers to detect and
it is the same reason that these sites show so much of there content for free.
You may have heard the allegations that cigarette ads are being marketed to
young teenagers, well that goes double for many corrupt porn sites. Many of
these sites try to model them selves more like drug dealers trying to get
someone hooked then they do as media providers.

  They know that kids at ages around twelve on up are at a stage in which they
are most curious and most impressible about sex. The moment they accidentally
find a site or just work up the nerve to do a search for such a site, they are
more likely to delve deeper into the adult world and later on become a paying
member. If these sites are blocked then these potential future customers are
lost. Even adults that could otherwise be lured to a site might never go
because they are not willing to make the conscious decision to click XXX. The
real fear for these sites is that out of sight out of mind may mean out of
business.

This of course does not matter as much for adult sites that provided content
just intended for those that are of age and are seeking such content.

  Now for the arguments against the XXX domain:

  1: What if some create bad XXX sites using the names of unrelated people or
companies?
ANSWER: big companies already have trademark laws to protect them. The sad
truth is that anyone with the money can right now get a domain called (www.
jane-so-and-so-likes-big-blank-and-blanks .com) and the real Jane So-and-so has
got a problem. This is not a problem that will get any better or worse with the
addition of the XXX domain.

  2: Who gets to use the new names, and what about sites with the same name?
ANSWER: Big names like Playboy have probably already pre-registered anyway. If
sex.com sex.net sex.ca and sex.uk want to switch to XXX they are all going to
want to differentiate them selves anyway and it does not take a genus to do it.
We will just get sex.xxx, sex-net.xxx sex-ca.xxx and sex-uk.xxx. If sex.uk
wants their visitors to easily find the XXX version then they are not going to
want to go with sex-whatever.xxx, they are going to want uk in the title.

  3: It is not fair for the owners to have to pay for yet another domain?
ANSWER: If a porn site is selling adult content at a quality customers want
with any success, then they should be making way more money then the small
amount necessary to buy the new domain. It is called a billion-dollar industry
for a reason.

  4: Isn't this just censorship and a violation of free speech?
ANSWER: Nobody is being arrested for making this content or even forbidden to
show it. This is just a new way to categorize sites on the Internet, which
should help everyone with honest intentions. There is more freedom of speech on
the Internet then anywhere else, I am using this freedom right now and I hope
this never changes. This does not change the fact that if a couple goes into a
Public Park and then strip everything off to go at it, then they will be
arrested for public disturbance. It is a hard fact that the Internet is a
public place where even children go. It should be fair for everyone. People
should be able to explore without porn being pushed on them just like nobody
should have to deal with somebody else's political or religious views being
pushed on them.

  5: wouldn't a porn port id be easier?
ANSWER: If I believed that this would actually happen then I would be for this
too. At the moment I think this is only a bait and switch issue, and in the end
that would be fought as hard as this. It is one thing to make a new volunteer
domain and it is another to try and force the industry to switch to a specific
port. There will be new reasons and new excuses. There should not be reason to
resist shining a light on your site and saying this site is this!

Basically the creation of a XXX domain draws a fine line for these sites. Some
sites except what they are and therefore except this. Others want to cross the
line and still remain hidden among the murky conditions of the .com Internet. I
may want to watch a R rated movie where someone's head gets blown off but I am
going to block it when a kid that can't take or understand it wants to sit down
and watch TV. Me knowing that the movie is rated R is not going to stop me from
watching it if it is something I am interested in, but it surly is going to
keep the kid from seeing it and having nightmares for a month. If any content
needs to be identified it is porn on the net. This is important because porn on
the web today goes much further then nudity and people having sex. I will emit
I find nothing wrong with the human body or even showing the human body in a
tasteful manner, but I believe it is wrong what some people choose to do with
their bodies. But, everyone has there own
 opinion and concept of what expressing free speech is.

  However, it should not be a tough debate that if someone's idea of free
speech is showing women subjected to simulated rape, urinated on, ejaculated
on, performing oral and anal sex with multiple partners and other crude acts.
Then this content should not be in a place where anyone can stumble across it
with the click of a button.

You may be aware of the below case.

A short while back a substitute teacher came across pornographic material with
a room full of young students. She tried to remove the explicit pop ups but the
computer was infected with adware so more pop ups came up. She was an
inexperienced computer user, so she did not know how to turn the computer off.
She attempted to cover the screen and got help. She was later charged for
allowing the students to be exposed to the pornographic content. She is now
facing up to 40 years in prison.

  Link for more details: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070214-8850.html

The whole situation is both sad and ridicules. But it illustrated two points.
One, if something like that is considered so important to result in such a
sentence, then the XXX domain is a first step to end this kind of thing. Two,
the minds of children is not the only victim to extreme uncontrolled content.

  Thank you for reading my full reasoning for asking that you please vote yes
to create the XXX domain.

  Thanks,
  Jon

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.