ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

I say NO to .xxx!

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: I say NO to .xxx!
  • From: "Breeding Meat" <barebackjack2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 09:54:01 -0700

As webmaster of Barebackjack.com, I am writing to formally post my objection to
the top level .xxx domain for several reasons.

Eight years ago, I championed the idea of .xxx as a viable means of parental
filtering of adult-content websites, however in the course of these 8 years the
technology of the internet and political focus have changed making .xxx more of
a danger to the adult entertainment business than a help to families.
Additionally, over these same eight years I have come to the opinion that, just
as it is a parent's responsibility to protect his/her child from poisons under
the sink, weapons stored in the house, and access to swimming pools, it is also
the parent's responsibility to monitor what his/her child is doing on the
internet. It is not the domain of the gun manufacturer, the chemical company or
the pool builder to bear the brunt of responsibility for the protection and
well-being of the child, nor is it the webmaster's.

In retrospect, .xxx has the potential to chill the rights of adults in this
country who enjoy visiting websites with content designed for their
entertainment. While I agree that children should not be allowed to access
adult content on the internet and elsewhere, and have done my part in labeling
my site accordingly, I also, as a webmaster and an adult, have a responsibility
to protect my rights to operate a business and to freely access whatever
content I wish on the internet. I cannot stress enough that, assuming adult
content is indeed harmful to the well-being of a child, the responsibility for
protecting children from endangerment falls first and foremost upon the parent
and not the community at large. Appropriate labeling, as with weapons and toxic
chemicals, is a good thing. But creating a top level domain that can be blocked
not only by personal browsers, but potentially by ISP's under the direction of
any number of governmental agencies, is constitutionally a very bad idea.

XXX is perceived throughout the adult industry as the wrong option for internet
filtering. However I can only speak for myself on this issue. I feel that .xxx
should be scrubbed, and ICANN should instead focus on promoting heightened
parental awareness and urging parental responsibility.

Sign me "No longer in support",

Andrew Gage
www.barebackjack.com<http://www.barebackjack.com/>