ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] new gTLDs

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] new gTLDs
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:12:35 -0500

I was similarly impressed by Ross's proposal. It seems as neat a
separation of "technical" and "policy" layers as we're likely to see
in this institution. Further, if we formally separate the layers, and
create a contractual interface between them, we diminish the risk of
failure -- if the (technical) registry fails, its functions can be
transferred elsewhere and the gTLD keep operating.

It's my feeling that a gTLD string should be approved so long as it
meets minimal no-harm criteria on technical and policy grounds.  Both
questions should be merely threshold ones: is the proposed addition
likely to harm the Internet?  But the evaluations of "harm" on each
axis differ: failure to resolve names in a timely fashion or store
data accurately on the one hand, or creation of confusion among
Internet users on the other.  Separating the evaluations, and giving
minimal basic criteria for each would help streamline the process of
new gTLD addition.

(Perhaps it also forces ICANN to confront more squarely the subjective
nature of policy choices among gTLD policies, and leads them in the
direction of approving more strings rather than trying to refine their
"criteria", but I'm not holding my breath.)

--Wendy