ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] new gTLDs

  • To: Thomas Roessler <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] new gTLDs
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 17:57:19 +0200

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:45:01 +0200, you wrote:

>I think that Ross Rader's approach (as presented in Rio by Bret
>Fausett) is really the best thing to do about this: Introduce an
>accreditation regime for existing and prospective (!) registries,
>which checks minimal technical thresholds.

The idea is fine, but if you're just bidding for a new TLD which you
want to operate directly and you don't know whether you will succeed,
you won't be establishing your registry and accrediting yourself
before having won the bid, so there won't be much more than a plan to
evaluate. But you should be allowed a way to do so, otherwise you're
saying that only the existing players (or those who can afford a
significant and totally uncertain investment to establish a new
registry without knowing whether they will ever get a TLD to run) can
act as registries. Accreditation would then become a barrier to enter
the market and defend a cartel.
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---