ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] WIPO2: Advice to board due on 12 May.

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] WIPO2: Advice to board due on 12 May.
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:02:35 +0200

Even the WIPO2 report admits that the recommendations on country
names and IGOs would go *beyond* protections which are already there
in existing international law.

In other words, ICANN is apparently being asked to extend the UDRP
(which was intended for the "clear cases" in the first place) to
cases for which no reasonably uniform international legal basis
exists today.  Bluntly,

             WIPO AND THE GAC ARE ASKING ICANN TO CREATE
                       NEW INTERNATIONAL LAW.

That alone should be sufficient to recommend against any kind of
adoption (and maybe even consideration) of these recommendations, on
the grounds that this would exceed ICANN's mission.

Besides that, some of the recommendations in general don't look too
good to me -- e.g., the argument about .int (and just that) being
the appropriate place for IGOs seems to have a lot of merit, as
opposed to giving, say, "who" a special meaning in all gTLDs.

If you look at the wording recommended by WIPO (and GAC) more
closely, then you'll notice that there are some places in which the
drafting seems to be either badly or ingeneously broad (for instance
Annex 1 to Gurry's letter, rec. 1.B) -- if (or is this actually a
"when"?) these recommendations make it to the policy-development
process, there'll be a lot to be done.

Discussion of the recommendations will be on the GNSO Council's
agenda for tomorrow; I'll report on any new insights gathered on
that call.  (I don't expect the recommendations to be broadly
supported by the constituencies.)

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler                 <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>