ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] WIPO2: Advice to board due on 12 May.

  • To: <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] WIPO2: Advice to board due on 12 May.
  • From: "Sebastian Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:15:31 -0300

The principle of  "first come, first serve" bring on some problems detailed
in the WIPO report. But it's also true that this criteria is so far, the
only reasonably way to prevent instability and unpredictability in name
allocation.

I share Vittorio's feeling about IGO names. Shouldn't be priority rights
here, and a  revised UDRP should allow IGOs to fight and prevent misleading
or bad faith usage of their names. However, there is a more efficient
solution in having a new TLD for IGO (dot IGO ?).

I don't really feel that geographic names, International Nonpropietary
Names, Personal Names and Trade names should have a special protection or
any priority.

As Wendy pointed out on her message dated april 10th, at-large Internet
users are both domain name registrants and users of  the domain name system.
As users, they are well served by names that are not confusingly similar,
enabling them to differentiate the names they encounter and minimizing
typographic or semantic mistakes. But as registrants, they should have the
right to register any name if their do no harm (or results in a conflict
with higher interests) and act in good faith.

In the Personal Names issue, is seems to me that, if I ask to register
"sharon-stone.com" of any of its variants, I'm less entitled to the name
than Mrs. Sharon Stone herself. However, there could be a hundred Sharon
Stones in the world (please tell me where they are !). It doesn't feel
correct to asign a priority to one Sharon Stone, but to all of them (or non
of them?).

INNs and Trade Names shoudn't be discuss beyond the UDRP.

Regards,

Sebastian