ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] WIPO2: Advice to board due on 12 May.

  • To: "Sebastian Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] WIPO2: Advice to board due on 12 May.
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:52:54 +0200

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:15:31 -0300, you wrote:

>In the Personal Names issue, is seems to me that, if I ask to register
>"sharon-stone.com" of any of its variants, I'm less entitled to the name
>than Mrs. Sharon Stone herself. However, there could be a hundred Sharon
>Stones in the world (please tell me where they are !). It doesn't feel
>correct to asign a priority to one Sharon Stone, but to all of them (or non
>of them?).

Yes. Anyway, I would not even enter the path of "you have to have a
right in a string to register it", because as it's impossible to
define "which" Sharon Stone deserves the string "sharonstone", it's
also impossible to define what constitutes a right in a string. A
trademark? A name? A nickname? If I'm named John Doe but everyone
calls me "Big Mac", do I have rights on bigmac.com? And who would have
rights on common words? So the only real idea is that the first
registrant should keep the domain, unless he's using it for
illegitimate purposes, which include active unfair competition or
cybersquatting. But as long as you're not doing harm to anyone with
your domain, I can't see why you should lose it.
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---