ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] New gTLDs analysis -- Draft

  • To: "Dr Xue Hong" <hongxue@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] New gTLDs analysis -- Draft
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:19:08 +0200

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:11:09 +0800, you wrote:

>Considering that creation and implementation of IDN gTLDs are so closely
>related to the language communities that they are, by nature, not suitable
>to be "evaluated" by the stakeholders in GNSO, or incorporated in the new
>(Latin) gTLD evaluation process. If IDN gTLDs have to included in such a
>process within GNSO, it is extremely important to ensure the "participation
>of the language
>community that would primarily use and be affected by the IDN policy."

I agree with you. However, since ICANN is still the only entity which
can create gTLDs of any kind, I think that the point is how to
practically ensure such participation in the process.

As an initial idea, the new gTLD evaluation point in which linguistics
are involved is whether the new gTLD string creates confusion on the
Internet, and, in case of sTLDs, represents the target community.
Personally (and this is something we should also recommend related to
IDNs in general, I think) I would suggest that each character set is
"mapped" to a sort of coordination forum made by the local communities
(such as the JET for CJK scripts - perhaps it could be CENTR for
European scripts) so that, each time non-ASCII characters are
involved, the related coordination forum may express its opinion on
this. So this would identify who is to be consulted about the matter,
making the suggestion more practical and avoiding doubts about who
would have to be involved.
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---