ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] ccNSO report comment, draft 1

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] ccNSO report comment, draft 1
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 08:26:17 +0200

On 2003-05-04 21:01:25 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> The Interim At Large Advisory Committee supports the idea of a
> Country Code Names Supporting Organization as devised in the
> Report.

Delete "as devised in the Report." Danny Younger's latest reaction
on the GA list quite nicely illustrates the landmines we may trigger
by saying that.  Let's try to avoid getting between the lines of
fire of that particular battle.

> Particularly, the creation of the ccNSO will bring great
> opportunities to ICANN in terms of global outreach, enhancement
> of diversity, and ability to foster productive exchanges of
> views, opinions and experiences among different Local Internet
> Communities and between them and ICANN.

In this paragraph, I'd suggest to first mention benefits to the
ccTLD community, and move benefits to ICANN to the second place. I'd
also suggest that we are careful not to attribute effects to the
creation of a ccNSO which have already been achieved (or can be
achieved) by the existing cooperation of ccTLD operators.  I'd have
to think a little more about this in order to actually come up with
a wording recommendation which roughly fits together with ICANN's
and the ccTLDs' political positions -- input welcome. ;)

Also, I'd replace the proposed last paragraph by something (roughly)
like this:

"The ALAC looks forward to constructive and open dialogue with the
ccTLD community.  We welcome the report's suggestion to provide the
ALAC with an opportunity to appoint an observer to the future ccNSO
Council in order to foster the dialogue between the ALAC and the
ccTLD community.  We believe that that dialogue could also be helped
by having a ccTLD liaison participate in our committee's work.  We
hereby invite the ccTLD community to engage in an exchange of
observers and liaisons at its earliest convenience."

(Is it clear that this suggests exchanging liaisons even before a
ccNSO is set up?)

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler                 <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>