ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] New gTLDs, draft 2

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] New gTLDs, draft 2
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 08:01:21 +0200

On 2003-05-04 20:39:41 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> "Financial qualifications and entry fees can be barriers to
> entry of new and smaller participants, as well as to non-profits.
> While fees may be necessary to discourage spurious applications,

"... and to recover cost incurred in the evaluation, an adoption of
'lean' criteria could contribute to reducing the cost and,
consequently, the fees." -- or something like that.

> ICANN should consider a second, lower fee scale for non-profit
> applicants."

I'd replace "consider" by "examine the introduction of" -- I don't
think that we have, collectively, looked at this thoroughly enough
to suggest it. In particular since your proposed language would
imply cross-subsidation -- commercial applicants would subsidize
non-commercials.  (This is not necessarily a bad thing.)

> (perhaps I would also add a sentence about a possible 2-stage
> fee: a first fee for all applicants to cover initial examination
> costs, and a second fee only for successful applications to cover
> final negotiation costs - otherwise losers are funding the
> winners' applications)

Well, in a hypothetical world where only harmful applications don't
get through, that could be considered a good thing.

--
Thomas Roessler                 <roessler-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>