ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] New gTLDs, draft 2

  • To: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] New gTLDs, draft 2
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 20:39:41 +0200

On Sat, 03 May 2003 15:07:18 -0700, you wrote:

>If there are no objections by ALAC members, I would like to post this to
>the GNSO Council's gTLD list Monday.

I think the part about application fees (as discussed in our last
thread) is still missing. Perhaps you could just add at the end of
section I the text you proposed on Apr 26 as an answer to my comment:

"Financial qualifications and entry fees can be barriers to
entry of new and smaller participants, as well as to non-profits.
While fees may be necessary to discourage spurious applications, if
ICANN adopts minimal criteria,  it will not be costly to evaluate
applications against them, so fees can be low and still cover costs.
ICANN should consider a second, lower fee scale for non-profit
applicants."

(perhaps I would also add a sentence about a possible 2-stage fee: a
first fee for all applicants to cover initial examination costs, and a
second fee only for successful applications to cover final negotiation
costs - otherwise losers are funding the winners' applications)

In the overall, I think the comment is great :-)
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---