Comment to sTLD RFP
  • To: <stld-rfp-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment to sTLD RFP
  • From: <lauri.hirvonen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:33:28 +0300

Hello ICANN

Here is the comment to ICANN request of:
The ICANN Board has invited public comments on this draft
through 25 August 2003.

 This is the Comment from Nokia Corporation. Nokia (mobile
 handset and infrastructure manufacturer and vendor) with
 support from Sonera (mobile operator and service provider from
 Finland) did already submit an application to ICANN during the year
 2000 round for the sponsored "mobile TLD" with several tld
 name proposals, like ".mob, .mobi" etc.

 During the open microphone session in ICANN Montreal 2003
 meeting there was a comment, that since year 2000, we are now
 3 years further and therefore new sponsored TLD needs may
 have emerged, which were not recognized at that time.

 To our opinion, it's totally understandable to have new
 applicants for the above reason. However, new applicants
 should not be accepted to areas/names, which already are
 presented in the year 2000 applications. That same applies to
 year 2000 applicants, who wish to change to a potentially
 more lucrative case of another application. ICANN should not
 encourage stealing of ideas and otherwise unhealthy business
 practises by allowing that to happen.

 We also support the comments, that applicants should
 demonstrate sufficient technical and financial strength
 compared to the size of the targeted business and strong
 access to the customer base of the intended TLD to enhance
 the possibilities of success of the new business.

 Best Regards,

 Ritva Siren & Lauri Hirvonen
 mTLD Initiative

 Nokia Corporation