Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: dominic
Date/Time: Wed, May 31, 2000 at 10:01 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.72 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Timetable

Having just today May 31 received my ICANN at large membership PIN, airmailed May 26th from Los Angeles, the effective timetable for considering the proposals (posted May 19, deadline for comments June 5th) and commenting has been considerably curtailed, as I will be engaged on other matters for the next few days and won't have time to get back to this 'til the middle of next week.

So some brief and maybe unstructured comments follow (apologies for this and length), and apologies if I have misunderstood anything:

Any nominations should have member support, and the qualifying thresholds should be common whether member-nominated or committee nominated. We may expect participation rates to be higher than other voluntary organisations (5% to 10% is considered a pretty good active participation rate) - because of the nature of our community. Is 35% - 50% too high a rate to expect? We should not a) deter members from seeking nomination nor b) through complexity deter members from exercising their vote.

It does seem unnecessarily complex to have stages of 1 nomination  2 members show support (but limited to only one candidate) 3 final ballot to exclude nominations not meeting what seem to be unrealistically high thresholds of support.

All candidates for election should be required to meet the same criteria, and overcome the same hurdles.

As at May 22nd at large membership by region was I understand as follows:

357 Africa
1832 Asia and Pacific
6775 Europe
325 Latin America and the Caribbean
7630 North America

With 2 out of the top 12 countries dominating, viz.,

6,915  40.9%  United States
4,107  24.3%  Germany
   715   4.2%  Canada
   669   4.0%  United Kingdom
   338   2.0%  Japan
   331   2.0%  Korea, Republic of
   323   1.9%  France
   310   1.8%  Australia
   232   1.4%  Switzerland
   220   1.3%  Austria
   200   1.2%  India
   179   1.1%  Netherlands

The 10% regional support requirement will clearly vary substantially in terms of numbers. I think it more sane and sensible to require a minimum number of supporters (proposer plus seconders) from the region - and drawn from at least 2 countries - and the minimum being set at say 50 or 100. There may be an argument (it's certainly advanced in political elections in the UK) that 'frivolous' candidates should be deterred by having a high financial threshold and requiring a minimium number of proposers/seconders. We - and other volunteer organisations - are different, and should be seeking to encourage a wide range of candidates from our number - even those who may not appear to have much experience/expertise. Our representative bodies should be just that. It seems to me unlikely that an informed membership, even if we reach the dizzy heights of 50%+ voting, will do other than support the 'best' qualified. A financial qualification (say a deposit, which is returned should a minimum % of the votes cast be received) isn't appropriate.

Candidates should be proposed, whether by themselves, the committee, or others (with the candidates consent), and members should be free to add their support as seconders to the candidatures. Any candidate not meeting the minimum threshold for nomination should not go on the ballot.

And whilst we should require that primary proposers (and maybe seconders) should be from within the same region as the nominee, seconders from the larger membership should also be able to validly support the candidature. That seems to me to support both the principles of reflecting the region and the trans-national nature and outlook required of the prospective directors.

Should there be any

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy