Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Mon, October 16, 2000 at 8:21 PM GMT (Mon, October 16, 2000 at 4:21 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Why not simply say .BIZ will be a mega corp TLD?

Based on the TLD policy and board representation, it is clear that the intention of this proposal is to keep SOHO and really small businesses out of the loop.  It's a truly chartered TLD, allowing only a select group to have and SLD and requiring as much documentation as a bank would require for a large loan. 

In addition, there are thousands of businesses which could use similar names such as your poor example of dogfood.biz.  Why should there be a restriction on the use of dog-food.biz or any other similar, but generic name?  Is Affinity prepared to say that there is only one dogfood company in the world?

This entire application should fall under the category of restraint of trade, including speculation.  It is not the speculators who are hoarders.  It is the mega corps like P&G who are the hoarders and keep names off the market. 

If Affinity wishes to utilize these restrictions, why not simply state that it is designed for big business and Trademarks only.  That is the net result of the stated policy.

As a small SOHO, I could not and would not wish to register in this proposed TLD, nor would many others in the same situation.  I would never provide personal address, bank information or anything of that nature in order to register a domain name.  $2000 for a business domain is excessive and ridiculous.

As in other applications, this policy is unworkable and much to restrictive for such a category of TLD. 

A better string would be .BIGbiz (bigfirm, bigebiz, etc.), as you will essentially eliminate most small businesses. 

I sincerely hope that ICANN will have a less biased approach to TLD's.  This is a travesty.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy