Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Sat, October 21, 2000 at 11:13 PM GMT (Sat, October 21, 2000 at 7:13 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .bz exists and so does .BIZ

The Belize ccTLD .bz exists.  .BIZ TLD also exists, but not in the ICANN rootzone.  It is active, has been in the ORSC rootzone since 1996 and is taking registrations.  If it is causing confusion, I have not heard about it.  It is a gTLD. It will be part of an automated registration system shortly, although manual registrations have been available to date. 

I find the argument for .bz interesting because of the fact that it already exists.  Since both .biz and .bz exist in the name space, it will be interesting to see if ICANN chooses to adopt this TLD and delegate to someone other than its existing manager.  It will also be intersting to see the same situation with .WEB, since IOD has managed that TLD for four years.

I don't think we'll see either TLD relinqhished by their existing managers and disenfranchise existing domain name registrants.  I am also interested in seeing what will happen with the other existing TLD's such as .home, .event, news, .cool, etc...  They all exist in the ORSC rootzone, they all take registrations and they all resolve.

As for .bz, it is a ccTLD and free to market in any way it chooses.  .BIZtld Registry is an entity also and markets as .BIZ as well. 

Let's watch and see how it goes, shall we?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy