Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: olihillel
Date/Time: Thu, October 19, 2000 at 8:52 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V4.01 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: .geo and SUSTAINABLE tourism

Hello!

Having recently heard about SRI's proposal to ICANN to create a .geo domain, I wanted to comment that I believe that it would be a great tool for:
* well-informed and discriminating travelers that want to select exciting destinations in particular areas, or plan their trips. As the number of experienced travelers increases, .geo will be an essential support system for better and wiser traveling. Imagine a combination of an universal and ever-updating travel guide and a map as detailed as you'd like! It could make it easier for them to find small- and medium-sized enterprises that may have less chance of becoming members of mega-Web travel portals. This would also enhance the distribution of benefits to local populations. It also seems to me that by giving each posting a geographical reference, we increase the information provider's accountability and responsibility.
* researchers wanting to correlate geo-referenced information to data on tourism and the environment ( both cultural and natural) - such as UNEP, for instance.

For these reasons, I would like to fully support SRI's proposal, and look forward to using .geo in the near future.

Oliver Hillel
Tourism Programme Coordinator
United Nations Environment Programme
Division of Technology, Industry and Economics

( the opinions expressed in this e-mail are personal, and do not reflect the views of the UN system, UNEP or its divisions)

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy