Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: peniel
Date/Time: Wed, October 25, 2000 at 11:52 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Eastern's app

Eastern Communication Company [China]: This applicant does have some excellent suggestions for extensions, i.e., .firm, .info, .shop, and .tour. However, will ICANN’s review process include in-depth analysis of language capabilities? Will technological/system compatibility & differences between various countries be given weight in decisions? Will governmental stability, telecommunications capability & other infrastructure within the country of each applicant be part of the criteria for determining winning proposals? If not, we're in for a bumpy ride…to the ultimate disservice of the name-seeking, e-public that we serve. I do strongly support geographical expansion in selecting new registries. Granted that China is becoming a powerhouse, however is there currently enough stability and common ground with the NATO nations and other democracies so as to prevent disruption of important functioning within the Internet? I have questions that even a powerful company would have any real power in preventing disruption of services if the Chinese government chose to implement and enforce a policy seen to preserve its own best interest.     

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy