Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: R.Jackson
Date/Time: Wed, November 1, 2000 at 10:56 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: After reading all three proposals

So there are three companies going for the .Tel gTLD but which one has the best proposal???

As a freelance journalist who writes on telecommunications and its convergence which the computing industry, especially the Internet, I have read all three applications with great interest.

Of the three applications, the weakest one has to be the proposal submitted by Number.tel LLC. The opportunities that the .tel gTLD could offer have been completely missed. According to section C5 Appropriateness of the Community, Number.tel envisage .tel to be used as a secondary domain name by companies to provide a link to existing an website. e.g. Motorola would buy Motorola.tel but it would just point to the existing Motorola.com site. In addition, other companies and businesses that already have an established domain name would use it. Why?

When compared to the other two proposals this is a complete waste of a good opportunity to change the way we use and access the Internet. Both the Telnic and the Pulvar are looking towards the future of communications and how the Internet is accessed. With the advent of 3G and the mobile internet there will soon be millions of additional internet enabled devices the majority of which will be capable of VoIP and all needing a static IP address.

Pulvar are suggesting that the .tel domain name is just, I quote, 'a pointer to the appropriate location where authoritative Internet address information is stored for a given number.' Mmmmmm this seems as if you have, for example, a .tel web address that decomposes down to an individual IP number which then, in turn, points to this other number which finally accesses a device. A bit of a long winded approach.

Telnic are suggesting that .tel domain name is the device number, after all what could be simpler. (Because every domain name breaks down to a number as stated above.) Thus the .tel gTLD becomes I quote again 'an uncomplicated IP-based telephone addressing system between any two or more Internet enabled devices, or between two or more devices where at least one is Internet enabled.'

Although Telnic has not gone into detail about has this works; they have included with their application a letter of confirmation that the process works from Ericsson. Telnic used Ericsson's broadband UMTS platform to carry out some practical demonstrations… In my book this makes these people a serious contender to get the .tel gTLD and the application that they have put forward about a length in front of the application from Pulvar.

P.S.  Pulvar want to start with just IP enabled fixed line phones before, some time in the future, making it available to other Internet enabled IP devices, whereas Telnic are looking to enable any IP device from the word go.

If any one else out there has actually read all three proposals I would be interested and will respond to any responses.

Cheers,
R. Jackson

Richie Rich Kid

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy