Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mystwoman
Date/Time: Fri, November 3, 2000 at 1:45 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Nonconfrontational tool for parents to exercise discretion of child's use

I applaud this effort at making a virtual minimall of information and content safe for children to visit. The added extra is the hybrid of parents' proactive involvement and and technical consultants' expertise and oversight in restricting inappropriate content. The need is real and global today wherever desktops exist for children. Below is an excellent, true example of this need.

Recently a single mother in my office found a new screen saver on the home computer, of a woman in a bikini, and couldn't get it off. She told me she didn't know how to check the files recently accessed or track her son's usage of internet connectivity. Her parenting control was quick and effective; before leaving for work the next day she disconnected the keyboard and put it in her trunk. She told her son she wouldn't put it back until the picture was removed.

Even though I showed her how to track and limit access to the browser, and where on the local drive temporary internet files could be surveyed and reviewed for content after her son's use, I realised this domain would be a perfect host to dedicate the browser to. She could observe off-domain surfing while at home while permitting her son access to the web while she was gone, without hassles or arguments.

Bravo to Mr. Howe to providing this option.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy