Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kristopher
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 9:45 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.76 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: You prove my point!

>About your brilliant East/West coast example: this is very nice and shows a *biased* sample.<

Hello? Are you awake? That's *exactly* what it was given for! It's akin to your belief that the views expressed in this forum represent a statistically-valid model for the Internet, which they don't (this forum is the *perfect* biased sample). You say that the views in this forum are representative of the general Internet population (you say 90% pro-IOD, 10% anti-IOD). But, according to your own logic, to find out the percentage of general Internet users who support IOD, you would need to survey NOT ONLY the people in this forum, but people who AREN'T participating in this forum. And of course, you would need to have the following survey answers:

a. I support IOD.
b. I don't support IOD.
c. I have no opinion.
d. I don't know anything about IOD.

You now need to take those responses, go out and survey a fairly large sample group that is made up of people NOT participating in the forums here. This sample group would need to reflect the demographic makeup of the Internet user population, so you'll need to do some research on the makeup of the Internet population itself.

Since you're a physicist, it shouldn't take you long to research Internet demographics, put together a sample group, survey the sample group and write a statistical analysis for your survey. I expect to see the sampling methods used, as well as the derivations of the formulas and proofs of your results. Please post your analysis to the forums here by November 16. I look forward to reading your paper.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy