Return to geo Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: gretchen
Date/Time: Thu, June 29, 2000 at 2:32 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Alpha version needed

Yes, you are right, I didn't understand your first message.

I think we are saying the same thing, actually.  That the current plan for the ICANN Board members to group the world into five regions for organization in virtual space and then to assign each country to one of these five regions seems a bit arbitrary ... in other words, there is little discussion surrounding the issue and it seems to be taken for granted that the plan is a good one.

Where did these 5 regional categories come from?  Who chose them?  Who made them in the first place?  That was one of my points in the two other messages I wrote.  It is my thought that these regional categories were created through certain power relationships that existed between cultures a few centuries ago when the "nation-state" system first took formation.  Therefore, these regional classifications are loaded - still - with the power dynamics of the nation-state system ... therefore my question is:  are we just going to transfer that so easily into virtual space??? 

And then moving beyond the regional classifications ... next ICANN wants to designate where each country goes.  This is a mighty important action that could help determine the fate of these countries in the emerging virtual space and it seems risky for only 18 people to make this decision.  I totally agree:  an alpha version of (1)regional classifications, (2)justification for regional classifications, (3)country-to-region classifications, and (4)justification for country-to-region classifications needs to be published for the public to see, discuss, and agree on.

ICANN wouldn't like this because it slows down their process.  But the space of the Internet will likely become a primary *political* space for the world's people quite soon ... and there will certainly be divisions and hierarchies established in virtual space (just like in real space) according to the "location" that a domain name assigns a country.

So I completely agree with you ... an alpha version is needed.  Those 4 points above are needed for the public to see and discuss.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy