ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-forum]

Legality of Whois Privacy Services

  • To: forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Legality of Whois Privacy Services
  • From: "Kathryn Chow Han" <katychow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:20:12 -0800

Hello,

I'm concerned about the legality of WHOIS Privacy services, which are offered by various domain registrars. It has been my understanding that ICANN requires that WHOIS information be made public (for good reason, e.g., spammers) and that it is required that all persons registering domain names provide complete and accurate contact information. So, is it a violation of ICANN policy for registrars to offer domain privacy services (name, address, emails are hidden and/or replaced with the registrar's information instead)?

Any guidance or comments on this issue would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
KCH