ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Replacement of ALAC members

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Replacement of ALAC members
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:24:54 +0200

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:49:10 +0200, "Roberto Gaetano"
<alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>So why don't we move already half-way, and discuss the candidatures first in
>ALAC?

I support your approach for two reasons: first, from the theoretical point
of view, I agree that the ten initial ALAC members were meant to be a
startup point for the "bottom up" part of the Committee, so it would be
better if the community proposed names, rather than just getting
appointments from the top; and second, if we don't do it, then we can't
expect this to be a priority for the Board - so we really risk getting stuck
for months.

Perhaps we should also take the chance to put up our own process and "show
the way" in terms of transparency of the process? We could collect
nominations, have a public comment period and discussion on nominees, and
then do the selection for a shortlist to be forwarded to the Board.

If this sounds acceptable, I think we could ask Roberto to post an informal
message to the Board list describing this proposal, just to check that the
Board is happy with it (it wouldn't make sense to start this up if we don't
get an ok from them).

>As for the members resigning, I don;t see the name of Vittorio: I assume he
>will not resign.

Confirmed :)

(I have moved the thread back again to the public mailing list, but of
course names of members willing to step down should not be made public at
this time.)
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...