ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Comments on New TLD Paper

  • To: ICANN At-Large <michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Comments on New TLD Paper
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:02:54 -0700

Denise,

I looked back over the ICANN document at:

   http://icann.org/tlds/new-gTLD-questions.pdf

and it's not entirely clear to me that ICANN is seeking 'comments on the questions' as opposed to 'answers to the questions.' This statement isn't exactly clear on that point either:

   http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-06jul05.htm

though it does say the paper is "also intended to solicit public comments on the completeness of the list of questions therein as well as on the consultation matrix enclosed." I take it that your comment below comes from someone who should know?

       Bret

ICANN At-Large wrote:

I wanted to clarify where things stand on providing input on the new gTLD process.

1) ICANN has asked for comments by 1 August on *the questions* posed in the staff paper entitled "New TLD Questions" <http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-06jul05.htm>. Basically, they want to know if they are asking the right questions. Bret has circulated a word version of these questions and asked for comment. Please give these questions some more thought. Anything missing??

2) ICANN will process the input it receives about the draft questions, and will then issue a final set of questions for which it will seek answers from the ICANN community and other sources. Bret has given us a head start on this process by proposing some initial answers, which is great. *Answers* to the new gTLD questions, of course, are not due by 1 August. When ICANN issues the final questions a new comment/input period will start.