ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Minimum requirements for participation

  • To: aizu@xxxxxxx, vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Minimum requirements for participation
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 06:47:20 +0000

I basically agree with Izumi.

I suggest "actively participating in the ALAC mailing lists"
By the same token: "actively participating in the ALS certification process, including voting"

And yes, 6 months is already a sufficiently long time span to evaluate. We should not forget that we live in Internet times.

I don't think it is appropriate to set measurable quantities: the reasons for failing to comply might be more important than participation itself. However, if we want do indicate thresholds, they have to be reasonable: I don't think that participation in only 1/3 of the activities (teleconferences and/or physical meetings) is reasonable. No organization can survive with members that have such low level of participation, and to put this black on white will attract severe criticism by the community and will be very puzzling for the candidate ALSes.

To be very honest, I would much prefer to have vacant seats rather than zombies. Incidentally, vacant seats will automatically solve the quorum problem for votes. Also, we can go to the Board (and to the internet community) and say: "we have difficulties in recruiting, because the work is hard for volounteers that have a daytime job", but to say: "we have members who have accepted the task, but who don't work" is not something I can live with.

In summary, do we think we do have a task to accomplish? If no, just tell me, I will resign immediately. If yes, do we think that in order to accomplish that task we need 15 people fully contributing? If yes, please set the rules in a way that we can replace the people who, for the thousand reasons that can and will happen in a person's life, are unable to continue to provide the level of commitment that is required. Otherwise, if we have only a percentage of the ALAC who has to deal with 100% of the work, the only thing that we will accomplish is to worn out faster the ones who work.

Incidentally, another point of agreement with Izumi is that if we have rules they should be known to people who apply, and to the nominating committee.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison