ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] RE: [alac-admin] Re: [ga] More ALAC Follies

  • To: vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] RE: [alac-admin] Re: [ga] More ALAC Follies
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:11:17 +0000

I assume we can move this to the public list.
[ga omitted, as I am subscribed with a different address, but feel free to forward]

The point is not only the size of the ccTLD, but the way it operates in the community. Most ccTLDs are not only a Registry, but include other functions: obviously this is more common for small ccTLDs, but not limited to them. Typical case is the Eastern European ccTLDs, most of which run by academic institutions, most of which with strong links to the user community.
This subject came out in several meetings ALAC had with the ccTLDs, and we agreed that there is a synergy in working together. This was, for instance, the main reason for my trip to Erevan for the CENTR meeting last year.

Therefore, more than an occasional coincidence, I would say a stratecic approach. Of course, when we consider applications for ALS, we have to evaluate whether the applicant is just a registry manager, and reject the application, or fostering activity in the local internet community, and in that case accept the application.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison