ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names

  • To: "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:12:26 +0330 (IRST)

In the 'Abstract' it is stated that <Data accuracy in the Whois service
can help law enforcement officials to investigate intellectual property
misuse and online fraud, or identify the source of spam e-mail, and can
help Internet operators to resolve technical network issues>. Any idea how
much the correct portion of WHOIS has actually been helpful in these
directions? In dispute resolutions, false address results in the failure
of the DR provider to reach the registrant and hence the loss of domain by
default. Thus here providing false information can be automatically
punished. Has anybody been able to combat spam through WHOIS information?
What 'technical network issues' have been resolved through WHOIS data?
Just asking for my own education.
Siavash

> Dear Committee Members,
>
> The United States Government Accountability Office, an independent
> research and investigation department of the United States government,
> issued a report today on issues directly applicable to aspects of our
> work. The report is entitled "Internet Management: Prevalence of False
> Contact Information for Registered Domain Names," and I recommend it to
> you as helpful background information. The report is available at the
> following URLs:
>
> Main Report:
> http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d06165.pdf
>
> Highlights:
> http://www.gao.gov/highlights/d06165high.pdf
>
> Abstract:
> http://www.gao.gov/docsearch/abstract.php?rptno=GAO-06-165
>
>          Bret

IPM/IRNIC
P.O.Box 19395-1795, Shahid Bahonar Sq.
Tehran 19548, Iran
Phone: (+98 21) 22 29 18 12, 22 29 03 06
Cell: (+98 912)104 2501
Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00
Email: shahshah@xxxxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxxxxx