ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names

  • To: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 05:15:51 -0500

I'd be particularly interested in seeing data from outside the U.S. I don't think we've ever seen a thorough report of all registrants' reasons for choosing to provide "inaccurate" information, especially presented in a non-U.S.-centric manner. I hear that the recent privacy conference discussed the more privacy-protective practices of some ccTLDs.

Does anyone have thoughts how we might gather more information on the subject, particularly keeping in mind that those who choose anonymity because they fear for their safety may not feel any more comfortable trusting us than the domain registration database?

John and I have long disagreed on the utility of WHOIS in stopping spam. I think it only catches the marginal spammers, because the high-volume folks have already figured out how to use fake info. I also think the IP WHOIS is more likely to be useful in solving technical problems than domain name WHOIS.

--Wendy