ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names

  • To: "Wendy Seltzer" <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 15:19:38 +0330 (IRST)

> I'd be particularly interested in seeing data from outside the
> U.S.  I don't think we've ever seen a thorough report of all
> registrants' reasons for choosing to provide "inaccurate"
> information, especially presented in a non-U.S.-centric manner.  I
> hear that the recent privacy conference discussed the more
> privacy-protective practices of some ccTLDs.

If I remember correctly a survey by .nl of 1-2 years ago showed that WHOIS
data of around 45% of their registrants was incorrect/incomplete. CENTR
has data on WHOIS practices of about 40 ccTLDs. While the information by
countries may be accessible only by CENTR members, 'anonymous' results are
probably available through Gabriella Schittek(gabriella@xxxxxxxxx). Many
ccTLDs have opt-out options,e.g., for individual-name registrants.

> Does anyone have thoughts how we might gather more information on the
> subject, particularly keeping in mind that those who choose anonymity
> because they fear for their safety may not feel any more comfortable
> trusting us than the domain registration database?
>
> John and I have long disagreed on the utility of WHOIS in stopping
> spam.  I think it only catches the marginal spammers, because the
> high-volume folks have already figured out how to use fake info.  I
> also think the IP WHOIS is more likely to be useful in solving
> technical problems than domain name WHOIS.

I tend to agree with you. On the positive side, I see WHOIS as a
protection for the registrant and a propaganda tool for the web-hosting
institution that may serve as contact for registrant. It is a protection
in that it provides access to the registrant in cases of disputes.
-Siavash