ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Analysis of .coop, .museum, and .aero renewals

  • To: "Annette Muehlberg" <annette.muehlberg@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Analysis of .coop, .museum, and .aero renewals
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 30 Dec 2005 09:23:13 -0500

> german we would write with a dash, "co-op", and there has been for a
> long time one famous store chain called "co-op", so no one else would
> use it.

The original proposal was for .co-op but ICANN in its wisdom changed that
to .coop.  The word is spelled co-op in English, too.

> And if .coop is actually meant to be used by cooperatives, why should
> they use it? Don`t they want to make business? Why shouldn't they use .com?

All excellent questions, particularly considering that 5600 co-ops
use .coop and 750,000 don't.

My wife and I belong to two co-ops.  One is a co-operative grocery store
with a web site at www.greenstarcoop.com which they are slowly moving to
greenstar.coop.  The other is a community credit union with a web site at
www.alternatives.org.  They have alternatives.coop but don't use it other
than making in an alias to alternatives.org.  This seems to be pretty
typical of American co-ops; they know about .coop but don't care very
much.

> Would be interesting to know on what survey the .coop busines plan is based.

Pure wishful thinking.  If you look at the original proposal on the ICANN
web site, they assumed that most of the co-ops in North America and Europe
would move to .coop within a few years, and by now half of the co-ops in
Asia would, too.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"I shook hands with Senators Dole and Inouye," said Tom, disarmingly.