ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] New TLD Questions from Susan Crawford

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] New TLD Questions from Susan Crawford
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:11:14 -0800

from Susan Crawford's weblog:

   My personal question, one asked not on behalf of anyone else (and of
   course you are welcome to reject the question) is whether there
   is strongly-held opposition to the following points:

We could change the process to one of "accreditation" rather than
"approval." It would be more straightforward to require technical
capacity and escrow and financial standing (minimal requirements).

   All applications could be subject to a "quick look" for objections
   based on real semantic harm to established interests.  How would
   that test be formulated?  Is it possible to have an "accreditation"
   process that also has an element of checking for harm to others (and
   what harm would be relevant)?

   I hope for comments.

http://scrawford.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/1/11/1659005.html