ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] ICANN blows off Ed Hasbrouck

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] ICANN blows off Ed Hasbrouck
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:41:44 -0500

ICANN's position is absurd.

The Board of Directors is ultimately responsible for oversight of all of the activity of the organization, including the actions of staff. Without making any judgment on the merits of Ed Hasbrouck's case, the Board cannot excuse staff's failures (when such exist) by saying that they do not involve "decision or action by the Board." Failure to act or supervise when action is necessary is also "action."

Cal. Corp. Code 5210. Each corporation shall have a board of directors. Subject to the provisions of this part and any limitations in the articles or bylaws relating to action required to be approved by the members [OF WHICH ICANN HAS NONE, BY ITS OWN DECISION AT THE TIME OF INCORPORATION] (Section 5034), or by a majority of all members (Section 5033), the activities and affairs of a corporation shall be conducted and all corporate powers shall be exercised by or under the direction of the board. The board may delegate the management of the activities of the corporation to any person or persons, management company, or committee however composed, provided that the activities and affairs of the corporation shall be managed and all corporate powers shall be exercised under the ultimate direction of the board.

--Wendy