ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Agenda planning for ALAC's dinner with the Board

  • To: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Agenda planning for ALAC's dinner with the Board
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:50:15 -0400 (EDT)

The requirement that registrants fill out WHOIS details is clearly a matter of ICANN policy directly depriving individuals of privacy options.

Quite right, but it is at the same time directly useful for law enforcement and others to deal with the wide range of abusive behavior, from spam and phishing to online stalking, that affects individual users. We need to come to a position, but the range of reasonable positions remains large.

The add-grace period.

More generally, it benefits a tiny group of domain speculators while shifting the costs, which some registries have described as substantial, to everyone else.

Can this thing work? At least in North America, mainstream interest in creating a RALO under the current ALS-RALO-no power structure approximates zero.

Actually, we saw a fair amount of interest at the meeting in Canada last week. But wonderful though Canada is, it's only 10% of North America and I agree that the interest in the other 90% just isn't there.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor