ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 24 Jun 2006 10:48:20 -0400

> That was exactly my initial question.
> Since I am in the panel for monetization, and since it looks like the
> advertisers are paying for the domain tasting,

No, the registries are paying for it.  The advertisers are paying he
speculators, but that doesn't defray anyone else's costs.  There is a
significant unfunded cost that the registries say they bear from the huge
numbers of unpaid register/cancel pairs for every domain they keey.

> Suppose I am a law enforcement agency, acting within a clear mandate. I
> assume I would not like very much the idea to leave footprints when
> investigating on a case. Pretty much as if I had to alert the subscriber
> that I am tapping the phone.

Good point.

R's,
John