ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] translations

  • To: "'Jean Armour Polly'" <mom@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'ALAC main list'" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] translations
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:49:19 +0200

Jean Armour Polly  wrote:

The machine translations are awful at best, and here is a perfect example.
Consider Erick's recent response to me, which ends (according to machine
translation Spanish to English):  "Sincerely of the person who less waits
for a racist commentary like which you have done to me, was of You. Erick"
Looks to me like Erick is calling me  a racist, "a person with a prejudiced
belief that one race is superior to others."

Now, I could be offended and demand a public apology, or I could just fluff
it off as a mistake in machine translation .

This is now past issue, but nevertheless I think that there's a huge
difference between saying that one person is <whatever>, and that the person
has made a comment that is, or sounds, <whatever>.
I, for one, have to recognize that sometimes I make silly comments or ask
silly questions, but I would be offended if somebody would call me silly.

(in whatever language ;>)

Roberto Gaetano
ALAC
ICANN Board Liaison