ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[alac] translations

• To: "ALAC main list" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] translations
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 19:05:58 -0400

Hi- I totally agree that major and minor ICANN and ALAC documents should be translated into as many languages as possible. We have a budget for it, do we not? How can we get some of that money spent, Bruce? We've got a whole website to do.

However I am much less sure of the need to translate all the committee work discussion lists. In regard to committee work, whether we like it or not, the ICANN bylaws are explicit in the requirement that directors, representatives, etc are able to "work and communicate in written and spoken English."

On the other hand, there's nothing that says that a list post can't be in another language. But my point is very simple--that if you want to get other ALAC members' attention and buy-in to your point of view, the most expedient way to do that-- I would think--is to post the issue in language common to everyone on the list. We are all volunteers and all so busy with our jobs-- why make all your colleagues take the extra time to go to a machine translation service, every time, when you know those sites offer notoriously poor translations? "Did you really mean this? Did you really mean that?" is what we would end up saying.

The machine translations are awful at best, and here is a perfect example. Consider Erick's recent response to me, which ends (according to machine translation Spanish to English): "Sincerely of the person who less waits for a racist commentary like which you have done to me, was of You. Erick" Looks to me like Erick is calling me a racist, "a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others."

Now, I could be offended and demand a public apology, or I could just fluff it off as a mistake in machine translation. Since calling anyone a racist would be counter to the collegial nature of ALAC, to say nothing of a non-sequitur to my original post, I am writing it off to machine translation problems.

It's so hard for us to decide anything together now-- so what would it be like to have to wait for an official translator to post in several languages before we write a response? It just doesn't scale when a committee is trying to work. Look how long it has taken us to do the self-review document-- almost a year. We're still not done. Imagine if it were in all our mother languages and edits were done in all those tongues. Make no mistake-- once the committee work is done---translate it into many, many languages.

Just my opinion
JP

At 9:29 AM -0400 8/7/06, Jacqueline A. Morris recently said:
Hi Jean
My spanish isn't good, but I use a translation service to get the gist - I haven' responded on the item yet cause I've been real busy.
Yet again, I think we need to get ourselves in gear about opening up to other languages... If we are serious about being representative.
Jacqueline
Sent via BlackBerry service from bmobile

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy