ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Re: Domain Monetization Background

  • To: Jean Armour Polly <mom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Re: Domain Monetization Background
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:40:57 -0400 (EDT)

Can we say anything else about how the loophole affects end users? How do all these millions of names affect traffic, either while they are live or after they have been abandoned a few days later?

It's definitely a stability issue, with millions of domains going into and out of the DNS every day, nearly every one of them a typosquat of some variety. I doubt that many users even understand that a typosquat is possible (a good topic for the Vint and Wendy survey team) and I expect that many will bookmark sites one click from the place they really want to be, then the squat goes away and the bookmark breaks. It also breaks typo correction by ISPs; many set their browsers on NXDOMAIN to visit ISP pages with suggested spelling corrections, but that won't happen if you land at a squat instead.

How much money is being lost by giving out "free samples" of domains during the add-grace period?

By the registries, probably some. By users, none, since the registries all have fixed price contracts. The people who run .ORG have moaned and groand to me about the cost of handling all those adds and deletes, but I have not yet seen any registry coming to ICANN asking for relief.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor